Dreading having to find another practical housewarming gift that may be a miss? Here are a few thoughtful housewarming gifts that homeowners will really appreciate and will use on a daily basis, as well as for entertaining purposes. Let’s forget about safe picks like bath towels and table linen, and instead focus on gifts that will be cherished and used every day and for special occasions.
First begin by asking yourself:
“What are the housewarming gifts that we most treasure and regularly use, when looking at our own countertops and within arm’s reach?”
What are the traits of a desirable, yet practical housewarming gift?
- Positively reflects the giver’s good taste and generosity
- Provides recurring use for many years
- Remains relevant, while never going out of style
- Is relevant and respectful to the receiver’s tastes, interests, and lifestyle
- Provides utility, even if the receiver may already have a similar item
Conversely, keep in mind the qualities of housewarming gifts that may be unfavorably received or go unused, especially if you are unfamiliar with the receiver’s personal tastes or living situation:
- Stay away from too big, too heavy, too fragile, or just too risky
- Bold Aesthetics
- When in doubt, stick to classic tones like black, white or gray.
- Aromas are very personal and certain scents can trigger headaches or migraines.
- This will help prevent reactions like: “Oh, how nice…what is it?”
- Steer clear of any “unknown/unsure” personal preferences, such as gifts related to alcohol, dietary restrictions, smoking or pets
- These are safe, but boring choices, such as gift cards. Relevance is good, but overly generic gifts are not.
Keep in mind that there are always exceptions to the rule. For example, bed linen is safe but boring, but not if gifting a luxury brand like Frette. No one would be unhappy to receive Frette linen!
Here are five considerate, yet practical housewarming gifts that we are highly confident will bring a genuine smile to your receiver’s face!
1. Three Piece Bevel Whiskey Glassware Set in Gold
Not just for spirits, you know. A sophisticated collection of glassware that can be functional and a perfect artistic element to add elegance to any room.
Top Shelf Bevel 3-Piece Whiskey Set in Gold (eBay)
2. Sophie Faux Fur Throw Blanket
Great for cold autumn or wintry evenings, or summer nights when the air conditioning brings just a touch too much cool air. Enjoy evenings outdoors with this incredibly soft, plush throw, large enough for two people. Also perfect to use as an additional throw on a sofa or guest bed.
Sophie Faux Fur Throw Blanket (Anthropologie)
3. Cuisinart Smart Stick Variable Speed Hand Blender
Hand blenders are a popular all-in-one tool for the kitchen, used to make your favorite smoothie, mix cocktails, whip crème or smooth out sauces. This is an example of a gift that can safely supplement a receiver’s current suite of kitchenware, especially for entertaining purposes.
Cuisinart Smart Stick Variable Speed Hand Blender (Kohl’s)
4. Acacia Wood Cheese Tray with 3-Utensils
After dinner cheese plates are a great alternative to heavy, sugary desserts. Serve your favorite crisp apples, succulent pears, fig jams and exotic nuts along with creamy and hard cheeses. Try our favorites from Cowgirl Creamery or Italian Truffled raw milk Gouda by Melkbus. This type of gift will be valuable for entertaining purposes, as well.
Acacia Wood with Bark Cheese Tray with 3-Utensils (Home Depot)
5. Brown Acacia Wood Serving Tray
This is perhaps the most utilized and versatile item in our home. We use the tray to serve snacks in the theater, clear the dinner dishes after a meal and to prep the foods for delivery to the outdoor grill and dining area. Good trays are a necessity for casual use and entertaining. We appreciate a good, solid, sturdy tray. You can never have enough!
Lipper International Acacia Wood Decorative Serving Food Curved Tray, Brown (Walmart)
Trending Gifts for the Home According to Google
5 Products to Help You Entertain During the Holidays
Aging In Place Tech Products for Today and Tomorrow
Security & Safety Products for Your Home Renovation Project
13 Tips for Hosting a Stress-Free Housewarming Party
The Art of Thoughtful Gift-Giving